Hey everyone! I am Sejal Maheshwari and I was selected for DESIS Ascend Educare Program 2021 by DE Shaw Group & here I am writing down the application process and my experience.
About the Program:
DESIS Ascend Educare Program is a 6-month-long mentorship program by The DE Shaw Group for the women in tech. For eligibility, benefits, structure details check out the Program Brochure for the year 2023.
- Application Form
- The application form asked for a resume, achievements essays, transcripts, and a self nomination (explaining Why you should be selected for the program over other applicants?)
2. Online Coding Test ( on 11 September 2021 )
- Conducted on HackerRank Platform.
- Duration : 2 hours ( 20 mins for MCQs + 100 mins for Coding Questions )
- Pattern : 5 Aptitude MCQs + 1 Technical MCQ + 3 Coding Questions
- Level of Test : Easy to Medium
- Aptitude MCQs were mainly based on Probability, Ratios, Profit and Loss, Permutations and Combinations (Easy to Medium Level)
- Technical MCQ was a basic DSA concept based (Easy Level)
- Coding Questions were based on Sorting, Sets, Vectors, Maps, Maths, STL functions (Leetcode Medium Level)
I did all MCQs and solved 2 coding questions fully and 1 partially and was selected for the next round.
3. Technical Interview ( on 19 September 2021 )
- Duration : 45 mins
- HackerRank Code Pair Round
- Topics asked : Data Structures and Algorithms
- Started with the Introduction and some theory based questions on Arrays and Linked List.
- Leetcode Easy Level DSA Question was asked. It was based on Arrays and Two pointer Algorithm. I told Brute-Force Approach with it’s complexity and then optimized approach with it’s complexity and coded it and dry run over a test case.
- Then some theory based questions on Stacks and Queues.
- Leetcode Medium Level DSA Question was asked. It was based on Stack and Sorting. I told Brute-Force Approach with it’s complexity and then optimized approach with it’s complexity and dry run over a test case.
Answered all the theory questions and did both DSA Questions and was selected for the next round.
4. HR Interview ( on 21 September 2021 )
- Duration : 45 mins
- Conducted on Blue Jeans Platform
- Questions asked : Related to achievements, projects, team work experiences, past college work experiences, why you want to join the program and some situation-based questions.
- I was asked my introduction, my college first year journey, individual and group projects done, team work, time management and leadership achievements with some past experiences.
- I was asked why you want to be a part of this program, how will you manage it with your college classes, why they should select me over other candidates and how this program will benefit me.
- I was also asked some situation-based questions. (Like what if one of your group member doesn’t do any work, what step you will take)
I answered all the questions with some past experiences example.
Result: Got the selection mail on 1 October 2021.
If you have any other query, feel free to connect on LinkedIn .